The Tiger News: Behind The Scenes

Journalism II, also known as Newspaper, is a class at Cape Central High School taught by English teacher, Helen Schmidt. Students dive into the world of journalism and photography. The Tiger News, the official name of the CHS newspaper, has several social media platforms and an online newspaper along with a printed copy. The Tiger staff attends school events and captures photos of CHS students and faculty. Anita Kellum, a newspaper staff member, said in an interview she enjoys “. . . getting to take pictures of a lot of school events. I love seeing the photos I’ve taken online and everyone loves seeing the results.” Staff members may be seen under a basketball goal, capturing a player mid-dunk or on the sidelines of a football or soccer game with the CHS student section cheering behind them. 

Some think the course is a pass class or far from difficult. However, the course teaches you teamwork, time management, and journalism techniques. Each member of The Tiger has a specific role, whether it be an editor, designer, or party planner. The class participates in team bonding activities and munches on endless candy to help spark creativity and motivation. When asked how she likes the course, Abigail Boxdorfer, another newspaper staff member, responded, “It’s worth it. It’s a lot of fun and I enjoy all of the people in this little community.” Elizabeth Ogburn, also a newspaper staff member, commented, “I like eating candy with my friends and learning new techniques.” Staff members collaborate on articles through constructive criticism and team meetings to create the best possible product. The Tiger reaches out to all of Cape Girardeau, and anyone can go online to see what is happening inside CHS. Thanks to two staff members, co-editors Tyler Sikes and Casey Barwick attending a booster club meeting, The Tiger received two new cameras to increase the newspaper’s level of content for the next edition.