Getting Involved at Cape Central

Whether from a parent, teacher, or counselor, you’ve heard it before: get involved! Joining a club, sport, or other organization shows potential colleges and employers that you are well-rounded, committed, and ready for responsibility. Extracurriculars also enable you to form connections with new people, and it never hurts to make more friends. Most importantly, the groups you join can bring you a great deal of joy; being creative, helping people, winning a competition, or any other aspect of an organization can fill you with pride and delight. Whichever reason you value the most, it’s hard to argue against becoming involved in an extracurricular activity. And with so many clubs here at Cape Central, there’s something for everyone. 

Future Business Leaders of America is a great group to join to gain career and college readiness skills! Members participate in volunteer activities, competitions, and other awesome events! If a student does well enough in district competitions, he or she can qualify for state or even nationals, which is always in a cool city! Previous locations include Anaheim, California, and Atlanta, Georgia! Students can still join by paying the $15 membership dues by September 20! FBLA meets in Mrs. Taylor’s room, G218, on Thursday afternoons.

If you have a mind for politics, look into joining Model United Nations! Members have diplomatic discussions from the perspectives of different countries. Model UN meets in E201. 

For those of you who love trivia, there’s Scholar Bowl, led by Mrs. Cerny. Scholar Bowl students participate in a game-show style competition with questions in categories ranging from geometry and geography to pop culture and grammar. You’ll even get to buzz in if you know the answer! The club competes in tournaments at the district, regional, and even state level. Scholar Bowl meetings are every Monday and Thursday after school in Room C116.

If you always enjoy a good game of chess, check out the Chess Club! Sponsored by Mrs. Womack, the Chess Club meets in the library after school on Tuesdays and Fridays. For more information, just send Mrs. Womack a quick email!

If you like to be in the spotlight, consider becoming a part of the Cape Central Speech and Debate team. Whether you’d like to show your stuff with a dramatic or humorous interpretation or engage in a competitive debate, there’s something for you in Speech and Debate. Members compete against other teams at district competitions throughout the school year. With events like prose, poetry, and storytelling, there are a variety of options you can choose from. The CHS Speech and Debate team is headed by Mrs. Crenshaw and Mrs. Miller and meets Mondays and Tuesdays after school in Room G213.

If you’re interested in the LGBT+ community, check out Cape Central’s Gay-Straight Alliance! In open meetings, students discuss their identities and personal stories as well as real-world issues for members of the LGBT+ community. GSA meets in Room G209.

If you’re looking for volunteer opportunities, Beta Club is a great option. Beta members help members of the school and community through volunteering, fundraising, and more. Service events include the Feed the Elderly project, Boo Grams, and Coffee Sales. Members also have the choice of participating in state competitions in a wide range of categories, such as mathematics, poetry, science, and special talent. If you’re hoping to help make a change in the community, look into Beta! Beta Club is headed by Mrs. Stausing and has $15 dues for new members.

The Youth Association for the Furthering of Racial Harmony Interests, or YAFRHI, is a club focused on the social state of our community concerning race and diversity. Members meet to discuss social issues and plan community events with the hopes of bringing about more understanding and awareness between people. YAFRHI meets in G208.

So whether you’d like to compete at even the national level or just have fun in group discussions, there’s something for you here at Cape Central.