Where You Should Get Involved At CHS

Taken+by+ROTC-member+on+a+field+trip+to+the+NASA+Space+and+Rocket+Center+in+Alabama.+

Taken by ROTC-member on a field trip to the NASA Space and Rocket Center in Alabama.

Cape Central offers many opportunities for students to get involved. Leadership here at Central realizes that every student is different and strives to give every student an outlet where they feel comfortable and creative. There are many, many on-campus areas where students can plug in. Whether it be going to sporting events or meetings to further their skills in a specific area, all can be a part of something they enjoy and appreciate. If you want to get involved, but don’t know where to start, let me help you. 

First, Cape Central offers an amazing opportunity for all students through our AFJROTC Program. This stands for Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps and is a partnership between the Air Force and CHS that focuses on developing citizenship and building the leaders of tomorrow. It is a comprehensive leadership development program including academics, co-curricular activities, and a cadet-led organization. Although AFJROTC provides many advantages to students with interest in joining the military, such as eligibility for accelerated promotions, potential ROTC college scholarships, and Service Academy nominations, being a part in this requires no military obligation or commitment. 

According to Colonel Goodin, students should get involved with AFJROTC because it is unlike any other class or program in the school. He stated that it provides first-hand life-skills development to prepare students to succeed in life, no matter what career path they choose. ROTC is not a club. It is an elective that you can take every school day. There are also co-curricular actives that students are encouraged to go to but they are never mandatory. 

Second, FCA is a before school club that is centered around providing an outlet for Christian students who want to further their relationships with the Lord. FCA stands for Fellowship of Christian Athletes and meets every Wednesday morning at 7am in the small gym. This club helps develop leaders while giving them an on-campus opportunity to grow in their faith. FCA attendee, Shalom Kamau, says that one of her favorite things about FCA is being surrounded by like-minded people. “I’m sure that if I’m struggling with something, I’ll find someone else in the same boat as me. We mix fun with God and use games to help drive our points home.” This is an amazing opportunity for students. Check it out! And no you do not have to be involved in athletics to attend. 

Last, but not least, FBLA is another club offered here at Cape Central. FBLA is an acronym for Future Business Leaders of America and is a national organization that focuses on business and leadership skills. This club has been at Cape Central for over 40 years and currently has about 40 members. FBLA does several community service projects and teaches its members about teamwork, leadership, and the importance of community service. It is a club with the purpose of bridging the gap between high school and work/college. FBLA meets after school on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 2:50 pm but also provides before school meetings for those with other commitments after school.