High School Bus Routes Adjusted Due to Overcrowding

Although it is only the beginning of the year, many are noticing a major increase in students riding on high school buses. While some buses only fill to half capacity on a good day, others are overflowing. There have been reports of students standing/sitting in the aisles, hovering between seats, blocking emergency exits, sitting three to a seat, and more.  “Overcrowding on the bus has always been an issue in the past for my bus,” says Po Mwe, “but so far, this year has been the worst”

According to the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, each passenger on a school bus should have enough room to ensure that his/her back is in full contact with the seat and all emergency exit doors must be “accessible by a 12-inch minimum aisle.” That being said, it is understandable that many CHS Staff were shocked to hear what students had to say about their bus experiences. “It is a safety issue that must be changed immediately!” said one teacher when interviewed. “I don’t understand how something like this could go unnoticed.” The fact of the matter is that there is no way of knowing without going on the busses themselves. That is where the Transportation Coordinator comes in to play. Fortunately, this year’s Transportation Coordinator has already began to solve the equation.

As of Aug. 29, two bus routes for Cape Central Senior High were adjusted to alleviate the surplus of students riding the bus. This was done by transferring one stop from each route to a separate, less congested route. According to Brice Beck, Transportation Coordinator and Assistant Principal of Cape Central High, Robinson Transportation decides when and how bus routes are adjusted. He also states that it is their job to ensure that students are transported safely to and from school. “As the Transportation Coordinator, it is my job to communicate with bus drivers, monitor the routes, and relate information back to Robinson Transportation,” says Beck. “Although I may see an issue with the bus route, the school must wait for Robinson Transportation to make the adjustment”.

This new route adjustment is already inspiring hope in some.”It is a step in the right direction” states Chasity Washer, a student who will be affected by the adjusted bus routes. Others, however,  such as Po Mwe, don’t believe that removing one stop will be enough to lower the number of riders to capacity. “It’s nice to see the effort, but they’re going to have to do more than that to make a difference“

Beck states, “This route adjustment is only the first, and more are likely to take effect throughout the year”  As this year’s Transportation Coordinator, he says that he will focus on clear communication and will monitor the situation closely. With the work of our Trasportation coordinator and an increase in communication, overcrowding on the bus may soon be a thing of the past.