The Tiger

Book Review for The Host

Back to Article
Back to Article

Book Review for The Host

Jacob Grant, Journalist

The Host is a 572-page book by Stephenie Meyer, who also wrote the Twilight Saga. The Host is about a Soul, an alien creature, named Wander, who is put inside of a Human, Meline Stryder. Wander has been on several other planets that her people have taken over before she chose to come to Earth and was put inside of Meline Stryder. Mel, as she is referred to by several characters inside of the book, was part of the last human stronghold of resistance before being found and taken in. Wander was then put inside of Meline to find out more information about other humans who might still be out there. At first, Mel resits Wander and fights back against her. Mel throws up walls against Wander, not letting her view the memories that Meline has. This causes much distress on Wander’s part because she is being pressured by a Seeker. A Seeker is a Soul who is put into a host, in this case, a human, and hunts down any leftover pockets of resistance.

Later on, Meline and Wander become better friends. Mel throws memory after memory at Wander to convince her to go find Meline’s brother, Jamie, her Uncle, Jeb, and her 26-year-old boyfriend, Jarred. Wander then packs up what she can and lies, something her people find distasteful because they are all very truthful people, and heads out to find them after several days of being memory bashed. After several days hiking in the desert, Wander and Meline are on the brink of death due to the fact that they have no water nor food. At the last minute, they are found by Jeb, Melines Uncle.

The story, all in all, is a twist between inner feelings and the world around people. Life takes turns in many ways and knowing what action to take and which way to go is a hard choice. Making a choice has so many after effects that someone will never know what happens until they do it. That’s what this book really is. Choosing a path to go down and figure out what to do with the life that we are given was the hard choice. With tough decisions and mystery behind each door, will Wander be able to give Meline what she wants? Will Meline be able to keep up a fight against Wander and break free? Find out more in The Host by Stephenie Meyer.