Future Business Leaders of America: A Club for Everyone

There are many clubs and organizations at Cape Central High School, but few have the same wide-ranging practical use after high school like the Future Business Leaders of America. 

Future Business Leaders of America, or FBLA, is a national organization that focuses on business expertise, communication skills, computer competency, etc. Even if you aren’t wanting to go into a business related field, FBLA teaches skills that can be helpful in every career. 

Every year, students from all around Cape convene at SEMO for the district-wide competition. There are a total of 65 different events at the conference, with both multiple choice tests and presentation events. The testing event categories range from accounting and business communications to English and journalism. Students can compete in presentation events that include Broadcast Journalism, Job Interview, and even Website Design. 

The club is sponsored by Mrs. Teresa Taylor and is led by president Madalyn Pickard, a senior. The club currently has 25 members, and grows every year. Mrs. Taylor says she loves sponsoring the club, “I love interacting with students outside of the classroom setting and getting to know them better.  I also enjoy helping them bridge the gap between high school and a career. It is so rewarding to watch students succeed.” 

And succeed they do. CHS’s chapter of FBLA typically takes home 15-20 medals at the annual district competition, and for the past 20 years CHS students have been taking their events to the state competition. CHS students have even gone to nationals, with the most recent being sophomore Madison Morris, who placed 3rd in Digital Design. Our school has even had several students become officers not just for our school’s club, but the district club as well. For example, senior Yuktee Srikant is serving as the district’s Vice President of FBLA- PBL Relations currently.

President Madalyn Pickard says that FBLA has played a vital role in her high school career and she wouldn’t have the same skills today without it. “FBLA has prepared me for my future in more ways than one. I’ve learned the basic principles of business, such as Robert’s Rules of Orders, and how to conduct a meeting. I’ve also learned leadership skills and how to work together with others,” Pickard said. 

Finding a club or organization that meets your specific interests can be a challenge, but it is almost guaranteed that FBLA will have something that intrigues you. Mrs. Taylor reminds students that FBLA is a nationally recognized club that has members in many universities around the country. Even if your plan for the future doesn’t include college, FBLA can still be vital in career success. Mrs. Taylor added, “FBLA helps teach students the value of work and community but it also bridges the gap from school to work and employers and colleges recognize that.”

The FBLA officers for the 2020-2021 school year being inducted into their roles.

Does FBLA peak your interest or are you looking for an organization that will feel like a good fit? Next school year, dive into FBLA and improve your skills for college and the workforce. With a variety of volunteer events, competitions, and a group of people that are as close as a family, you’ll fit right in. After all, FBLA is a club for everyone.